9.29.2004

eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
- Alexander Pope



last night we watched eternal sunshine of the spotless mind.

i really liked it. i'm a sap that way, though.

the degradation of a relationship between a man and a woman who used to be so in love. she erases her memory with the help of a company (lacuna) and just to spite her, he does the same. (it's a lot less sci-fi than it sounds.)

he realizes in his dream-state that he wants to hang on to some of these memories... they're all he has of her and some of those memories are happy and precious to him.

kate winslet plays a girl who is feisty and full of life... sparkling. she is also delicate and fragile... making her so believable. jim carrey is a quiet, plain man. and he is so great in this movie.

all the other characters (elijah wood, mark ruffalo - yummmmmy, kirsten dunst, tom wilkinson) are okay ... i didn't really care for them too much. every time they'd cut to the subplots, i felt like they were just there for comic relief or something... jim carrey and kate winslet really make you care about them... i think i wanted them to get back together more than they did... uhm, if they were real people and not fictional characters.

at any rate, this movie made me think... had i the opportunity, would i erase the memories i have? would i get rid of psycho and hannah? would i get rid of the painful memories of the loss of family members and friends so i could start over? so i wouldn't have these psychotic tendencies? and all this fucking paranoia?

i don't think i would. i think if i didn't have the memories of them, i would be a completely different person. i'd probably not appreciate steve as much as i do. ... . i would be much more naive. (not sure if that's a good or a bad thing yet)... i wonder if steve would want me to forget that shit... i wonder if that would make me a more well-adjusted person? i wonder how different i would be... and how different my life would be. i don't know.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kis Lee said...

I'd keep the bad experiences. what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? without all the painful stuff, i'd probably be a weaker person.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Jammie J. said...

I went through a nasty, nasty divorce a couple years back. Really struggled because he was mentally abusive. Because even though he was out of my life, his ghost in my mind was still making my decisions. My friend told me I had to find a way to "kill off your memories, kill him off in your mind."

I got what she was saying, but I was so surprised when my initial reaction was I didn't want to let them go. What a self-realizing moment THAT was.

3:06 PM  
Blogger MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

I agree with Little Eyes! Think about all that you have gone through, not only with your ex-boyfriends, but with friends and family, too. You really would not be the person you are today if it weren't for all of your past experiences. And while not all memories are good, you can remember the bad ones and remember what you learned and took away from it, you know? Ugh! Hate to be all deep! But take it from me, everything is a learning experience! And now back to our regularly scheduled sarcasm...

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home