9.23.2004

D 'n' B

i love electronic music. for some people, it's just a phase... for me, it's love. i don't care how in or out raves are. i don't give a fuck about those candy ravin' teens. it doesn't matter if people think "dance music" isn't really music because there aren't any instruments.

give me a couple of turntables and an emcee and i'm in heaven. i just want to be right next to a speaker with the *thump*thump*thump* of the bass and i'm in ecstasy.

as a kid, i was really into depeche mode which got me into the electronic grooves... and then trip-hop... portishead, of course was my gateway drug... and then i met massive attack. oh, god. massive attack... and risingson is still my favorite song of theirs. ever. (the best use of risingson is in Abre Los Ojos, the original Vanilla Sky, aka the best movie penelope cruz has ever been in.)

but i'd never known a thing about drum 'n' bass until my cousin, dan, introduced me to "drowning" by AK1200. and then my other cousin, joe, introduced me to roni size and the reprazent crew. i've been hooked ever since. (on a sidenote, steve and i were officially introduced at a roni show. how cool is that?)

since then, trance, house, progressive house and other genres have come into my life, but i'll always have a soft spot for my jungle and drum 'n' bass.

on another sidenote, i've been listening to concord dawn and black sun empire. they're no roni size, but they're good. definitely worth a listen if you like drum 'n' bass at all.

4 Comments:

Blogger Quyen said...

and to think... I thought this post was going to be about Dave & Busters...

3:24 PM  
Blogger grace said...

ooh, i hate that fucking place! i just do. no reason.

3:59 PM  
Blogger grace said...

Hobo: i envy you. *sigh* can anyone possibly question why i might be an anglophile? anyone? i mean, come on! all the great music, the culture, the oh, so hot accents... fabulous indian food... (the best damn indian food i ever had was in london)... the architecture. i heart the uk.

but not enough to move there. hehe. the weather is terrible. i will just love it from afar... :)

6:38 PM  
Blogger Jer said...

Oh good gawd, I didn't realize you had such good taste in music. I too am a drum n' bass obsessive. When I was in high school/early college I did the whole rave thing but it gets old--and since moving out to Utah there's not nearly as big of a scene like in L.A. My craving for the music hasn't faded however, even if I'm not so itchy for the dancing, laser lights and the "candy"..

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home