1.10.2005

mar adentro/kung fu hustle

javier bardem is definitely rising up the ranks in my list of fave actors. i think i've only seen 2 movies that he's been in... and his performances blew me the fuck away in both. before night falls (2000) and mar adentro (aka the sea inside - 2004). they're both based on true life stories of brave men. maybe this is his niche... i don't know... i'd need to check out his other films...

mar adentro's the story of a paraplegic, who fought for euthanasia rights. javier bardem was so convincing, i didn't even realize that it was him. i seriously thought that a paraplegic was playing the part...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

kung fu hustle was a really fun movie. i tend to enjoy stephen chow's work a lot. i can't think of a movie he's done that i disliked. it wasn't nearly as funny as i thought it would be, though... don't get me wrong, it's not bad at all... i guess i was just expecting too much... i had read some really good reviews on it... the kung fu sequences are to die for, though. i guess i was just expecting way too much after shaolin soccer. it's definitely worth a watch, though...

2 very different movies, 1 very lazy weekend...

2 Comments:

Blogger Kurt Halfyard said...

I still stand by my super positive reveiw...This is probably the funniest movie I've seen in 2004...There is a bit of a backlash coming about KFH due to all the very positive pre-release buzz. Maybe it is because I saw it before anyone else (literally the first public screening of the film was in Toronto), I had no expectations beyond Chow's previous work (which are still pretty high expectations.

/end ramble.
KuRt.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Kurt Halfyard said...

I would also like to know where you got a copy of this movie so early, and would you be willing to mail it to me so I can make a umm...er...duplicate of the DVD...

I promise I will return it!

KuRt.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home